WATCH D.O.G.S. PROGRAM
- Greene County Tech Primary
LOCAL DADS BECOME WATCH D.O.G.S.
WATCH D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students) is a national innovative program focusing on the prevention of violence in our children’s schools by using the positive influence of fathers and father-figures for a two-fold purpose: (1) to provide an unobtrusive presence in schools, and (2) to be a positive and active role-model for children at their school. WATCH D.O.G.S. operates for the objective as stated in its motto: “To turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of the children to their fathers.”
The benefits of the program are many, according to WATCH D.O.G.S., founder, Jim Moore.
- Schools gain an extra set of eyes and ears in the building.
- Children gain a positive male role-model.
- Fathers get a glimpse of their child’s everyday world.
- Fathers gain a greater awareness of the positive impact they can have on their child’s life in three critical areas including: academic performance, self-esteem, and social behavior.
WATCH D.O.G.S. are fathers, grandfathers, uncles, and other father-figures who volunteer for at least one day each year at GCT Primary School. . During the day, WATCH D.O.G.S. may be asked to do any or all of the following:
- Help with traffic flow before and after school
- Assist at lunch
- Play on the playground with the students
- Mentor students
- Support classroom teachers
- Make copies and use die cuts
- Many other activities
Each fall at Greene County Tech Primary School, dads are invited to share a meal with their child during our “WATCH D.O.G.S. Dad Night”. During this first meeting, dads are given an overview and orientation of the program. They are asked at this time to sign up for at least one day during the school year to be a WATCH D.O.G.S. Dad. It is a great program, please come and be a part of it.
All volunteers may be subject to a criminal history report, which includes: misdemeanors, felony charges, registered sex offenders and persons on probation. Any individual with a criminal record will be asked not to volunteer within the Greene County Tech School District. Refer to Parent/Student Handbook, page 68.